During the holidays and cooler months, our family really enjoys simple and warm meals for breakfast. Quiches or breakfast casseroles are a simple and easy way to kick start those cold mornings and get the whole family off on the right foot. Assembly is quick and easy and while it is baking, you are free to get ready for the day or just snuggle up by the fire. With two wood burning stoves in our farmhouse, I prefer the latter! How about you? (smile)
This recipe works well for those holiday brunch meals or even on Sunday morning before church. You can mix ingredients and flavors by adding your favorite meat or different cheeses to the mix. I also make a salmon and cheddar cheese version of this recipe. You can even add some capers or potatoes to add a little something special. Delicious!
Serve it up on vintage transferware or white dishes, and you have a semi-elegant “gourmet” style morning meal to serve your family and friends. Results may vary, depending on your oven and ingredients you choose to use. Thankfully, these egg recipes are quite forgiving. The key is using natural and fresh ingredients and monitoring your creation for the last 10-15 mins to prevent overcooking. Experiment with what ingredients your family loves to make it your own unique creation and special holiday breakfast recipe. You may even make it a new fun family tradition!
- 1 TBS avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c raw organic spinach
- 1 c sliced organic mushrooms
- 1/2 to 1 c feta cheese
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 c mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 pasture raised eggs (medium size)
- 1/2 c whole organic milk
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Sauté garlic in oil until translucent (about 2-3 mins). Add fresh spinach and continue to reduce until spinach loses most of its liquid. Then add sliced mushrooms and sauté until reduced down. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, feta, milk, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Prepare your 9-inch pie dish with butter or oil to prevent sticking. Line the dish with the spinach and mushroom mixture and then pour the egg and feta mixture over the top. Make sure that your surface is level. Sprinkle mozzarella all over the top.
- Place in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until top of quiche is golden brown and most of the liquid has cooked out. You may need to cook longer depending on the moisture of your mushroom and spinach mixture at time of assembly. Enjoy!
Golden brown top
Fresh is best! These ladies work hard and play hard. (smile)
Until next time, stay warm and be BLESSED!