Beet Kvass is a cleansing probiotic drink that is not only rich in that vibrant beet root color, but it is also rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, B vitamins, and minerals, that help support healthy liver (detoxification) and heart function, as well as probiotics and enzymes that help support healthy gut and immune function. It has similar properties as homemade yogurt, Water Kefir, and Kombucha.
Traditional Beet Kvass is said to have originated in Ukraine/Russia and dates back to the Middle Ages. It was very common in those days for households in those areas to have this beverage on hand, due to its powerful health benefits. Although the traditional Beet Kvass recipe only requires 3 ingredients (beets, water, and salt), it has become popular to add things like fruits and various roots and herbs to enhance its’ salty, sweet, and earthy flavor.
In this recipe, I used some fresh ginger slices, lemon juice, and sprigs of peppermint from our garden to give this drink a little extra something!
I love all the vivid colors that go into this healthy tonic!
**This post may contain affiliate links. Please see full affiliate disclosure here.
Some things to keep in mind when you make this drink…
- Clean your prep area well before starting.
- Make sure to keep the beet peel on. That is where the helpful bacteria live and are necessary for the lacto-fermentation process.
- You may notice some bubbles at the top of the liquid which is normal and part of the fermentation process.
- Keep an airtight lid on your tonic as it ferments to help inhibit mold growth.
- After the first fermentation process is complete, you can use the strained beets for a second batch or sprinkle on a fresh salad.
- You can take the final product and place in an airtight bottle like these here . Then place on the counter at room temperature for several days extra to promote natural carbonation and make a Beet Kvass fizzy soda.
- Using a starter culture like whey from homemade yogurt or kefir can help speed up the process, as well as decrease the amount of salt needed for a safe fermentation process.
This probiotic drink is a great addition to a natural and active lifestyle. If you are new to natural living, remember that overall health takes time and consistency. Every small step or change you make today, will help you get one step closer to your overall goal tomorrow. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: The health and wellness posts shared here on GracefullyHome.com are not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any illness or disease. The information provided on this blog is for general educational purposes, has not been reviewed nor approved by the FDA and is not intended to take the place of advice from your medical professional, licensed dietician or nutritionist.
You are solely responsible for your health care and activity choices. Use of any of the recommendations or helpful tools and tips on the GracefullyHome.com blog does not constitute a client-coach relationship.