This recipe has three things that this simple city girl turned country girl loves, it’s…
- So simple
- So delicious
- So nutritious
I know that we can easily buy the small containers of hummus at the grocery store, which we do in a pinch. But with our larger family and our big appetites, the cost can add up and besides, it is much more fun to make our own at home.
Hummus is primarily made up of chickpeas and along with some other healthful ingredients, it makes a simple and healthy snack or side dip that offers an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It is also a good source of plant-based proteins and can help decrease inflammation. In addition, it helps support good digestion, supports bone health, and can offer a nice boost of energy.
It keeps well in the refrigerator. Whether served with fresh cut veggies, chips, homemade tortillas, or pita bread, this easy recipe makes for a delicious midday snack or even a light lunch. Do you have a favorite hummus recipe that you love to use?
Simple Homemade Hummus
- 1 1/2 c to 2 cans of garbanzo (chickpea) beans (2 cans drained for a bulk batch)
- 1/4 c Tahini (crushed sesame seeds mixed well)
- 2-3 TBS organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole lemon (freshly squeezed)
- 1 TBS or more to taste of cumin
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- Paprika dash before serving
- 3 TBS or more of water or fluid from garbanzo beans
- Pour liquid in food processor or high motor blender and blend well. Add everything on ingredient list minus the Paprika. Blend until well incorporated, then taste. Add more salt or cumin until you get the desired taste you are looking for. Spoon into a dish or bowl and sprinkle with a dash of Paprika and top with fresh parsley or cilantro (optional).
Until next time, here’s to your health!
Leave a Reply