If you have been following our family’s simple life journey in the hollow, you know that I LOVE all things simple. So, it’s no surprise that after having serious dental surgery yesterday, I needed a simple and soft (ouch) option for breakfast this morning. Actually, I need to be on a soft food diet for the next 16 weeks! Perhaps I didn’t think this all the way through. (sigh) I am joking! I had so much toxic mercury build up from my fillings from when I was younger that my body was dealing with a lot of chronic inflammation, especially around one particular tooth on the left side. There was an abscess that would cause a flare up and cause pressure, then recurring headaches for the past couple of years. It’s no surprise that it had the most mercury compared to the others.
Believe it or not, ALL of my past health issues have all been on the left side, even my cancer! Coincidence or related?! I’ll let you make up your own mind about that, but I for one, am thrilled to no longer have anymore toxic metals in my mouth! Now, I will continue to use my simple natural remedies and natural plant-based health tools to help support my body through more of the detoxing and healing process. Thankfully, I do this already, so aside from the soft food diet, I don’t have to change much of my daily routine. Hooray for being proactive! (virtual high five) It was quite the teachable moment for our littles when I showed them all the pictures from my surgery…including the tooth with the filling and all the roots that were removed. Talk about OUCH! I think they got the picture! (wink) They may think twice before they eat too much sugar or decide to skip brushing their teeth before bed.
Anyhoo, hence the soft and easy to chew breakfast option, but really this simple recipe is good for any day. And it’s not just for breakfast. It can also be enjoyed as a yummy midday snack without the side order of guilt. It’s full of health benefits that can help naturally fight inflammation and quench your sweet tooth without spiking your blood sugar. You have to love that! There are a thousand other recipes out there, so mine is nothing earth shattering new, but it is simple and you don’t have to wait overnight before you can enjoy this delicious treat.
Add your choice of toppings or even other simple ingredients that you and your family love, to make it your own. I am all about customizing simple and nourishing meals to suit our family’s healthy taste buds. (smile) Hope you’ll give it a try!
- 1 c almond milk
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1 c Greek yogurt
- 2 TBS raw organic cocao powder (different from cocoa)
- 1/4 c organic maple syrup
- 3/4 c organic chia seed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of Saigon cinnamon
- Mix the first five ingredients together into a bowl until well incorporated. Then add in the vanilla extract and cinnamon. Slowly fold in the chia seeds and scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure you get every last bit of these powerful seeds.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator to set for about 45 mins to an hour. The longer you chill it, the thicker and more pudding-like the consistency will become. Once the chia seeds soak up most of the liquid, scoop into 1/2 pint Mason jars and add your toppings of choice. Fresh blueberries, strawberries, sliced bananas and nuts are a great option and make it even more delicious. Another option is to layer your fresh fruit or nuts in between the chia seed pudding. Similar to a parfait. Enjoy!
- Note: You can leave out the Greek yogurt if you are going dairy-free or vegan.
Until next time, enjoy the simple moments that make up our days!